The return leg of the Mashemeji Derby, which fans were eagerly anticipating this Sunday, has been postponed by the Football Kenya Federation (FKF). The decision comes as a precaution to ensure crowd safety, especially after some recent matches faced chaotic scenes that overwhelmed stadium security.
The FKF shared that the postponement is due to rising concerns about safety and crowd management. Incidents during the first leg at Nyayo National Stadium saw an overwhelming number of fans, which stretched security resources to their limits.
FKF President Hussein Mohamed explained that the federation is taking some additional time to reassess and improve its planning for future matches. “It’s clear that fans are back, and their love for football is stronger than ever! However, we need to address security and planning issues to ensure that everyone can enjoy the derby safely. We’ll take about two to three weeks to get everything right for the next match,” he said.
Hussein’s comments reflect the challenges encountered during the last derby, which ended in a goalless draw. Unfortunately, the stadium exceeded its 22,000-seat capacity, and there were some tense moments outside when fans without tickets broke through a gate, forcing police to use tear gas.
“We want to avoid situations where families come to enjoy a match only to feel unsafe due to crowd problems,” he added.
He also mentioned that having proper crowd control measures in place is crucial for ensuring the safety of everyone attending. “With fans back in full force, we want to be better prepared next time. We’ll need extra security personnel and will focus on educating fans on how to create a friendly and safe atmosphere for the next Mashemeji derby,” he noted.
The decision to postpone comes just as both clubs’ supporters were ramping up their preparations for this exciting match. The teams had previously agreed to hold both legs close together, pending the availability of a suitable venue.
The first leg, originally scheduled for November 23, 2023, was postponed due to renovations at Nyayo and Kasarani stadiums, and a second attempt in early March 2024 didn’t go through for similar reasons. As a result, Sunday’s match, meant to be a home game for Gor Mahia, will not be happening this weekend.
“This was a plan we thought would work well since we wanted to hold both matches when Nyayo was finally available. However, the federation has released new fixtures, and it looks like we’ll be playing KCB at Machakos this weekend,” said Nick Okello, Gor Mahia’s Head of Communications. “The reverse fixture is expected to take place in three weeks or by the end of this month,” he confirmed.
In the meantime, FKF has received a friendly reminder from Nicholas Musonye, Chairman of the 2024 Chan Local Organizing Committee. He expressed that any further issues with fan behavior could lead to Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards being unable to access Nyayo and Kasarani stadiums in the future. Let’s all work together to create a safe and enjoyable experience for every football fan!